Definition of autocorrelation function
: a function that describes the autocorrelation of a quantity being continuously measured and that indicates the periodicity of the quantity Financial prices tend to be well approximated by the ‘random walk’. The random walk never forgets. Every change is permanent. Changes are not reversed. The autocorrelation function of percentage changes (i.e. returns) shows near-zero values for autocorrelations.— Ajay Shah, The Financial Express, 8 Feb. 2010
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game