autism spectrum disorder
Recent Examples of autism spectrum disorder from the Web
Her staff provides support to individuals of all ages who have intellectual and developmental disabilities, traumatic brain injury and autism spectrum disorders.
For children with autism spectrum disorder, a trip to an amusement park — with its loud music and commotion — can be overwhelming.
Hope For Three Autism Advocates will honor phenomenal fathers over Father’s Day weekend, June 16 and 17, by posting inspirational stories, quotes, and pictures of Fort Bend fathers of children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
The study, published online Friday, found that children with autism spectrum disorder, or ASD, are more than twice as likely to suffer from a food allergy than children who do not have ASD, reports the university's news site, Iowa Now.
The goal of the fundraiser, which began last September, is to support research for autism spectrum disorder, a disability that encompasses a wide range of social, communication, and behavioral challenges.
Alexis was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder at age 3.
Given the fraught history of the (consistently debunked) allegations that vaccines are tied to autism spectrum disorders, there may be an impulse in certain corners to bring up vaccinations as a potential root for this rise in diagnoses.
When a child is diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, do their parents' feelings about vaccines change in any way?
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'autism spectrum disorder.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
autism spectrum disorder
medical Definition of autism spectrum disorder
- One in 110 American 8-year-olds had an autism spectrum disorder in 2006, an increase of 57% since 2002 …
- —Melinda Beck, The Wall Street Journal, 2 Feb. 2010
- Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are characterized by impairments in social behaviors that are sometimes coupled to specialized cognitive abilities.
- —Katsuhiko Tabuchi et al., Science, 5 Oct. 2007
- Nearly 2 million Americans have Asperger's or other autistic spectrum disorders that mute their social radar.
- —Michelle Green, People, 24 Sept. 2007
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up autism spectrum disorder? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).