Recent Examples of autism from the Web
Lisa Calby, 59, cares for a 10-year-old grandson with autism who receives behavioral analysis therapy with Henry at Trinity-ABA.
Anxiety, depression and autism top that list of secondary disorders.
Caroline Song’s son, Parker, was diagnosed with autism at 17 months.
Paul Sittser is 22, but still has minor status due to autism, said Stan Sittser, the missing man's father.
Students at Sea Change face typical adolescent anxieties and stress, and some are dealing with issues such as autism or learning disabilities.
There’s an anti-vaccine group and that’s where the like, vaccines-cause-autism stuff will start to spread.
In the 1980s, Asperger’s decades-old portrayals of socially isolated but bright boys in his care caught the attention of autism researchers.
Why was autism initially considered a psychiatric condition?
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'autism.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
medical Definition of autism
- But more than 60 years after it was first identified, autism remains mystifying and stubbornly difficult to treat. About the only thing parents, doctors and policy makers agree on is that the best chance for autistic children to develop social and language skills is to enroll them in some type of intensive behavioral therapy.
- —Benedict Carey, The New York Times, 27 Dec. 2004
- Although the chief diagnostic signs of autism are social isolation, lack of eye contact, poor language capacity and absence of empathy, other less well known symptoms are commonly evident. Many people with autism have problems understanding metaphors, sometimes interpreting them literally. They also have difficulty miming other people's actions.
- —Vilayanur S. Ramachandran et al., Scientific American, November 2006
- In approximately 10% of patients, autism can be explained by genetic syndromes and known chromosomal anomalies …
- —Lauren A Weiss et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 14 Feb. 2008
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up autism? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).