Definition of atrophied
1 : having wasted away or decreased in size (as from disease or disuse) Astronauts and test animals have returned to Earth with atrophied muscles …— Ivan Amato
2 : having progressively declined or weakened Growing responsibilities in the Balkans and Africa, coinciding with reserves in Angola and signs of trouble in Cambodia, may soon limit the organization's eagerness and ability to take on new challenges in atrophied states.— Ronald K. McMullen et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game