Definition of atrophied
1 : having wasted away or decreased in size (as from disease or disuse) Astronauts and test animals have returned to Earth with atrophied muscles …— Ivan Amato
2 : having progressively declined or weakened Growing responsibilities in the Balkans and Africa, coinciding with reserves in Angola and signs of trouble in Cambodia, may soon limit the organization's eagerness and ability to take on new challenges in atrophied states.— Ronald K. McMullen et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?