at someone's expenseidiom
Definition of at someone's expense
1 : paid for by someone a fancy dinner at my parents' expense a stadium built at the taxpayers' expense The tour is free, but all meals are at your own expense.
2 —used of a joke about or laughter at a person that might cause embarrassment Everyone had a good laugh at my expense.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game