Examples of asocial in a Sentence
an asocial and grumpy artist lives alone on the top floor
First Known Use of asocial
Synonymsaloof, antisocial, cool, buttoned-up, cold, cold-eyed, detached, distant, dry, frosty, offish, remote, standoff, standoffish, unbending, unclubbable, unsociable
Antonymscordial, friendly, sociable, social, warm
Related Wordsindrawn, introverted, nongregarious, recessive, reclusive, reserved, unsocial, withdrawn; misanthropic; apathetic, hard, indifferent, unconcerned; clinical, dispassionate, impersonal, professional; disinterested, incurious, uninterested; reticent, silent, taciturn, uncommunicative; diffident, shy, timid; cliquey, cliquish, clubbish
Near Antonymsboon, clubbable (also clubable), clubby, companionable, convivial, extroverted (also extraverted), gregarious, outgoing; communicative, expansive, garrulous, talkative; affable, folksy, genial, gracious, hospitable; agreeable, amiable, congenial, kindly, neighborly
medical Definition of asocial
- Swimming is, by nature, asocial … the human community is peripheral.
- —Akiko Busch, The New York Times, 8 July 2007
- … the very individual and often asocial lives of contemporary artists …
- —Nancy Hynes, Prospect (London), May 2003
- The family dynamics of kids who bounce from one home environment to the next could result in behavioral patterns that can lead to asocial activities that include violence, petty crime or drug abuse …
- —James Edward Mills, The Wisconsin State Journal, 1 Aug. 2007
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up asocial? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).