as opposed toidiom
Definition of as opposed to
—used to refer to something that is different from what has just been mentioned The car gets 30 miles per gallon, as opposed to last year's model, which got only 25.They use fresh fish, as opposed to fish that has been frozen.I'd say she is a good player, as opposed to a great one.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game