Definition of arms control
: limitation of the use, exchange, or manufacture of military weapons by nations often as a policy established through diplomatic negotiation Kennedy handled the missile crisis as a political issue—resisting the temptation to make it a totally military stand-off that might have escalated into world war—and set a goal of nuclear arms control.— Juan Williams, Washington Post, 28 Apr. 1991
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?