variants: or armill \ ˈärməl , -(ˌ)mil \
Definition of armil
1 : armilla sense 1
2 [ earlier armilla, from Medieval Latin, from Latin ] : an ancient astronomical instrument for determining equinoxes and solstices by the shadows cast by the sun
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game