ar·mil·la | \ ärˈmilə\
plural armillae\ -i(ˌ)lē , -ˌlī \ or armillas
Definition of armilla
1 : bracelet especially : a gold coronation bracelet
2 [ New Latin, from Latin ] : the annular ligament of the wrist
3 : a stole similar to the ecclesiastical stole and used in the British coronation ceremony
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game