Origin and Etymology of archaea
First Known Use: 1990See Words from the same year
medical Definition of archaea
- They are largely Archaea, a domain of life first identified 20 years ago …
- —Charles W. Petit and Laura Tangley, U.S. News & World Report, 8 Nov. 1999
- Many of the archaea are thermophilic.
- —David W. Wolfe, Wilson Quarterly, Spring 2001
archaealplay \är-ˈkē-əl\ adjective
- Despite the morphological resemblance of archaea to bacterial cells (e.g., lack of a nuclear membrane), many archaeal processes, such as transcription, are much more similar to those of eukaryotes.
- —Ken F. Jarrell, Bioscience, 1 July 1999
Learn More about archaea
Britannica.com: Encyclopedia article about archaea
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up archaea? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).