Definition of apodization
: the process of altering a signal (such as one emitted by an electrical sensor) to make its mathematical description smoother and more easily manipulatable The system also implements a standard suite of spectral estimation algorithms. The user can … use apodization with different weighting functions or compensate for distortions arising from equal data spacing. — Physics Today, March 1993
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game