any the wiseridiom
Definition of any the wiser
1 : knowing or understanding more about something —used in negative statements The investigation has been going on for months, and we're still not any the wiser about the true cause of the accident.
2 —used in negative statements to describe someone who is not at all aware of something that has happened We left early, and no one was any the wiser.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game