an end in itselfnoun phrase
Definition of an end in itself
: something that one does because one wants to and not because it will help achieve or accomplish something else She started exercising for her health, but she enjoyed it so much that exercising became an end in itself. For him, taking classes was an end in itself.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game