am·so·nia | \ amˈsōnēə, -nyə\
Definition of amsonia
1 capitalized : a genus of herbs (family Apocynaceae) having a milky juice, alternate entire leaves, and showy bluish flowers in terminal cymes, one species (A. tabernaemontana) being common in the southeastern U.S.
2 plural -s : an herb of the genus Amsonia
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game