:one who engages in a pursuit, study, science, or sport as a pastime rather than as a profession
- She played soccer as an amateur before turning professional.
- a tournament that is open to both amateurs and professionals
:one lacking in experience and competence in an art or science
- The people running that company are a bunch of amateurs.
- He's a mere amateur when it comes to cooking.
- I am a philologist or amateur of the language …
- —Phillip Howard
\ˌa-mə-ˈtər-ish, -ˈt(y)u̇r-, -ˈchu̇r-, -ˈchər-\
\ˈa-mə-ˌtər-ˌi-zəm, -ˌt(y)u̇r-, -ˌchu̇r-, -ˌchər-; -ˌtə-ˌri-, -ˌchə-ˌri-\