Definition of alveolar ridge
1 : the bony ridge or raised thickened border of the upper or lower jaw that contains the sockets of the teeth : alveolar process It is common for many of the teeth to be displaced from the alveolar ridge into the palate.— M. A. Kettle et al.
2 : the gum-covered ridge of bone behind the teeth in the upper jaw Both sounds are fricatives made by creating a partial obstruction between the tongue and the alveolar ridge … — Cognitive Science
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game