Definition of alkylbenzene sulfonate
: a derivative of benzene that is used in detergents as a surfactant Alkylbenzene sulfonates are another member of this class and are used as detergents, corrosion inhibitors and emulsifiers in both automotive and industrial lubricants.— Neil Canter, Tribology & Lubrication Technology, March 2010
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game