Definition of acrasin
: a substance (such as cyclic AMP) that is secreted by myxamoebae of various cellular slime molds (such as those of the genus Dictyostelium or Acrasis) and that functions as a chemotactic agent attracting and causing the aggregation of similar amoeboid cells into a pseudoplasmodium The cells are not only oriented by … acrasin, but induced to secrete it; they thus relay the orienting signals.— B. M. Shaffer, Nature, 12 June 1975
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game