account for (someone or something)phrasal verb
Definition of account for (someone or something)
1 : to show what happened to (someone or something) : know where (something or someone) is We have to account for the time we spend on each activity. The government couldn't account for millions of dollars of the taxpayers' money. Is everyone accounted for?
2 : to destroy or kill (someone or something) Enemy fighters have accounted for most of our bombers, Sir.
3 chiefly British : to defeat or beat (someone or something) We accounted for the challengers 3–2.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game