account for (something)phrasal verb
accounted for (something); accounting for (something); accounts for (something)
Definition of account for (something)
1 : to give a reason or explanation for (something) How do you account for your success?
2 : to be the cause of (something) These new features account for the computer's higher price.
3 : to make up or form (a part of something) Women account for only 25 percent of our employees.
4 US : to think about (something) before doing something : to take (something) into consideration The researchers failed to account for the fact that most of the students were poor.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game