accounted for (someone or something); accounting for (someone or something); accounts for (someone or something)
Definition of account for (someone or something)
1 : to show what happened to (someone or something) : know where (something or someone) is We have to account for the time we spend on each activity. The government couldn't account for millions of dollars of the taxpayers' money. Is everyone accounted for?
2 : to destroy or kill (someone or something) Enemy fighters have accounted for most of our bombers, Sir.
3 chiefly British : to defeat or beat (someone or something) We accounted for the challengers 3–2.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/22/19
- Is 'Positively' Positively Legal?
- The True Story of 'Realize' and 'Realise'
- Out to Sea with 'Wave' and 'Waive'
Ask the Editors
- Name that Food Quiz Take the quiz
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game