Definition of acclimatory
: of or relating to the physiological adjustment made by an organism to a change in its immediate environment Land plants … have developed sophisticated mechanisms that allow for both immediate and acclimatory responses to changing environments.— Stanislaw Karpinski, Science, 23 Apr. 1999 … when compared with fish and other ectothermic animals, amphibians appear to have less capacity for acclimatory change …— Robert E. Ricklefs and Gary L. Miller, Ecology, 2000
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game