Definition of acclimatory
: of or relating to the physiological adjustment made by an organism to a change in its immediate environment Land plants … have developed sophisticated mechanisms that allow for both immediate and acclimatory responses to changing environments.— Stanislaw Karpinski, Science, 23 Apr. 1999 … when compared with fish and other ectothermic animals, amphibians appear to have less capacity for acclimatory change …— Robert E. Ricklefs and Gary L. Miller, Ecology, 2000
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?