Definition of absolutely
1 : in an absolute manner: such as
a : completely or totally absolutely certain an absolutely clear explanation —often used as an intensive an absolutely brilliant performancean absolutely awful experienceYou're absolutely right.
b : with unlimited power ruling absolutely
2a —used in speech as a forceful way of saying "yes" or of expressing agreement "Would you like to see a movie tonight?" "Absolutely!""We all need to work harder." "Absolutely!"
b —used in speech in the phrase absolutely not as a forceful way of saying "no" or of expressing disagreement "Do you think he's right?" "Absolutely not!"
3 mathematics : with respect to absolute values an absolutely convergent series
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game