: completely or totally
—often used as an intensive
- an absolutely clear explanation
- an absolutely brilliant performance
- an absolutely awful experience
—used in speech as a forceful way of saying "yes" or of expressing agreement
- "Would you like to see a movie tonight?" "Absolutely!"
- "We all need to work harder." "Absolutely!"
—used in speech in the phrase absolutely not as a forceful way of saying "no" or of expressing disagreement
- "Do you think he's right?" "Absolutely not!"
: with respect to absolute values
- an absolutely convergent series