a hostage to fortuneidiom
Definition of a hostage to fortune
1 British : something (such as a promise or an action) that someone has made or done that may cause problems in the future
2 US : a person whose future success or failure is controlled by luck or fortune
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game