a horse of a different colornoun phrase
Definition of a horse of a different color
chiefly US, informal
: a very different thing or issue That's what we'll do when he gets here. But if he doesn't show up…well, that's a horse of a different color.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?