variants: or less commonly Tokharian
Definition of Tocharian
1a : a language of central Asia known from documents from the sixth to eighth centuries a.d.
b : a branch of the Indo-European language family containing Tocharian — see Indo-European Languages Table
2 : a member of a people of presumably Indo-European speech dwelling in central Asia during the first millennium of the Christian era
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game