Thes·mo·pho·ria | \ ˌthezməˈfōrēə\
Definition of Thesmophoria
: a festival of Demeter as Thesmophoros or of Demeter and Kore celebrated by women and having as its essential ceremony the casting of pigs into chasms of the earth and the bringing up of their decaying flesh to be mixed with seed to insure fertility
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game