Strep·sip·tera | \ strepˈsiptərə\
Definition of Strepsiptera
: a group formerly included in the Coleoptera but now regarded as a separate order and comprising minute insects which are parasitic as larvae in other insects, in which the females remain permanently in the host and degenerate into a sac wherein the eggs hatch and the larvae develop, and which undergo a hypermetamorphosis in the course of larval development — compare stylops, xenos
Keep scrolling for more
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game