sty·lops | \ ˈstīˌläps\
Definition of stylops
1 capitalized : a large genus (the type of the family Stylopidae) comprising many of the better known strepsipterons
2 plural stylops also stylopses : any insect of the genus Stylops broadly : an insect of the order Strepsiptera
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?