\ ˈstäk- \
variants: or Stock's system
Definition of Stock system
: a system in chemical nomenclature and notation of indicating the oxidation state of the significant element in a compound or ion by means of a Roman numeral that is used in parentheses after the name or part of the name designating this element and ending invariably in -ate in the case of an anion and that is placed above and to the right of the symbol for this element according to the Stock system nitrous oxide is named nitrogen (I) oxide, ferrosoferric oxide Fe3O4 is iron (II, III) oxide FeIIFeIII2O4, and potassium manganite is potassium manganate (IV) K2MnIVO3
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game