\ ¦shätᵊn¦bau̇mən-, -ˌmän-\
Definition of Schotten-Baumann reaction
: acylation (as conversion of an alcohol to an ester, of an amine to an amide, or of hydroxylamine to a hydroxamic acid) by an acid chloride in the presence of alkali
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game