Sat·ur·ni·idae | \ ˌsatərˈnīəˌdē \
Definition of Saturniidae
: an important and widely distributed family of moths including some of the largest insects known, having a stout hairy body, strong wide wings, and antennae which are bipectinate to the tip, having larvae which spin silken cocoons, and comprising among others the io, polyphemus, luna, and cecropia moths, the pernyi and tussah silkworms, and the Atlas moth
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game