Sab·ba·tian | \ səˈbāsh(ē)ən\
Definition of Sabbatian
(Entry 1 of 2)
: one of the followers of the Novatian presbyter Sabbatius who held that Easter and the feast of the Passover should be kept at the same time by Christians and Jews
Sab·ba·ti·an | \ ˌsabəˈtīən\
variants: or Shabbathaian or Shabbethaian \ ˌshabəˈtīən \
Definition of Sabbatian (Entry 2 of 2)
: a follower of the cabalist Sabbatai Zebi who proclaimed himself the Messiah and was accepted as such by many Jews — compare dönmeh
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game