Ro·chon prism | \ (ˈ)rō¦shōⁿ-\
Definition of Rochon prism
: a polarizing prism consisting of two equal prisms of calcite or other doubly refracting material cut so that the optic axis of one of the prisms is parallel to its refracting edge, the axis of the other is perpendicular to its refracting edge, and the directions of the optic axes make angles of 90 degrees with each other
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game