Definition of Red Crescent
1 : a red crescent on a white background used in Islamic countries as the emblem of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
2 : a humanitarian aid society in an Islamic country that is a member of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and has adopted a white flag with a red crescent as its symbol of neutrality also : such aid societies thought of collectively — compare red cross
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?