Definition of Ptolemaic system
: the system of planetary motions according to which the earth is at the center with the sun, moon, and planets revolving around it and each orbit except for the sun and moon is composed of a principal circle upon which moves a smaller circle carrying the planet — compare copernican system, deferent, eccentric entry 2 sense 2, epicycle
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
- Is 'Cement' 'Concrete'?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game