Definition of Pacific salmon
: any of several anadromous salmonid fishes (genus Oncorhynchus) chiefly of the northern Pacific that typically die after spawning and include the coho, sockeye salmon, chum salmon, Chinook salmon, and pink salmon Pacific salmon are born in freshwater rivers that empty into the ocean, and then—in migration patterns that amaze and baffle—often return to their rivers of birth at spawning time.— Jennifer A. Kingson
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?