Ne·op·tera | \ nēˈäptərə\
Definition of Neoptera
: a major division of the subclass Pterygota comprising winged insects that are able to flex the wings over the abdomen when not in use and including all orders of winged insects except Odonata and Ephemeroptera
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?