dros·era | \ ˈdräsərə\
Definition of drosera
1 capitalized : the type genus of Droseraceae comprising numerous low perennial or biennial bog-inhabiting insectivorous plants generally with leaves in a basal tuft and flowers in a one-sided racemose inflorescence on a naked scape — see sundew
2 plural -s
a : any plant of the genus Drosera
b : the air-dried flowering plant of either of two droseras (D. rotundifolia and D. longifolia) formerly used in the medication of chest disorders
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game