Definition of Megatherium
: a genus (the type of the family Megatheriidae) of ground sloths found in the Pliocene and Pleistocene of America that are often of gigantic size and are related to the sloths and anteaters, the skull and dentition resembling those of the former and the vertebrae those of the latter
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?