Knoe·ve·na·gel reaction | \ kəˈnə(r)vəˌnāgəl-, kəˈnə̄v-\
variants: or Knoevenagel condensation
Definition of Knoevenagel reaction
: an aldol-type condensation catalyzed by amines that takes place between an aldehyde or ketone and a compound containing an active methylene group (as in esters of acetoacetic acid, malonic acid, or cyanoacetic acid)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?