Japanese shield fernnoun
Definition of Japanese shield fern
: autumn fern Autumn fern, also called Japanese shield fern, can be used as a massed ground cover in shady areas, and grows about 2 feet tall. — Joan Brookwell, Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Florida), 24 Oct. 1997
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game