Hock·day | \ ˈhäkˌdā\
variants: or Hokeday \ ˈhōk- \
Definition of Hockday
1 : the second Tuesday after Easter celebrated in England before the 18th century with rough sport and humorous play originally for the collection of funds for community purposes
— called also Hock Tuesday
2 : the second Monday after Easter
— called also Hock Monday
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?