Definition of Gila trout
: a deep-bodied trout (Oncorhynchus gilae) inhabiting cool mountain streams of New Mexico and Arizona that is typically yellowish-brown above and golden yellow on the sides and belly with profuse black dots mainly above the lateral line and a faint, rose stripe along each side of the body Gila trout inhabit only small sections of about 15 streams in the mountains of the Gila, so it is still a fragile species.— Wes R. Smalling, Santa Fe New Mexican, 6 Apr. 2000
Note: The Gila trout closely resembles, and is often classified as a subspecies (Oncorhynchus gilae gilae) with, the Apache trout (Oncorhynchus apache synonym Oncorhynchus gilae apache).
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?