Definition of Gay-Lussac tower
: a large packed tower that is situated after the chambers in the chamber process of making sulfuric acid and that contains strong sulfuric acid for absorbing nitrogen oxides from the spent gases with the formation of nitrous vitriol — see glover tower
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?