\ ˈfrēs-, -ēz-\
Definition of Fries reaction
: the isomerization of an aryl ester of a carboxylic acid into a phenolic ketone by means of anhydrous aluminum chloride
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game