Ce·to·ni·i·dae | \ ˌsētəˈnīəˌdē\
Definition of Cetoniidae
: a family of rather large brightly colored diurnal beetles comprising the sap chafers, having the mandibles thin and feeble and the mouth parts adapted to soft or liquid food, and being closely related to and often included as a subfamily of the Scarabaeidae — see goliath beetle
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game