variants: or less commonly Castilleia \ ˌkastəˈlē(y)ə \
Definition of Castilleja
: a large genus of root-parasitic herbs (family Scrophulariaceae) abundant in western North America and characterized by irregular hooded flowers in dense spikes usually with brightly colored bracts — see indian paintbrush
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game