Car·di·i·dae | \ kärˈdīəˌdē\
Definition of Cardiidae
: a family of marine bivalve mollusks (order Eulamellibranchia) that have an equivalve ribbed shell with prominent umbones, a large foot adapted for creeping over sandy bottoms, and much-folded gills and that include the true cockles
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?